Quilting and Anime

   A friend recently got me interested in Anime.  Mostly just movies - the TV shows can go on into hundreds of episodes and I tend to lose interest.  The best director, by far, is Hayao Miyazaki.
This random intro is all to say that inspiration for quilting can come from the strangest of places.
     I was watching Princess Mononoke by Miyazaki, and there's this scene of a swamp.  Most of Miyazaki's films are fantasies or fairy tales and in this one, there were these incredible, glowing dragonflies with long, trailing bodies.
I had a really hard time finding a picture - this is the closest I could find, though there are parts of the movie where they're much longer and make glowing trails across the screen. 
Those little white tree spirits are called Kodama (They are another inspiration altogether).  You can see the dragonflies in the lower half of the picture. 
 I instantly wanted to do something with that idea.
Here's where it led me. It's been a favorite in my Etsy Shop
Not an exact replica - If I were into embroidery, I could probably do a bit better, but it's not about copying, it's about inspiration.  I'm going to play with this a bit more and see what else I come up with.

Comments

Popular Posts